Latest Graham & Rosen Articles

Minimum Wage … do I need to take action?

In real terms the National Minimum Wages has increased about 3% this year and all employees are entitled to receive these minimums from 1st October 2015.

16 and 17 year olds £3.79 up to £3.87
18 to 20 year olds £5.13 up to £5.30
Over 21 year olds £6.50 up to £6.70

What if I don’t get that?

If employees are paid below the minimum rates they are entitled to take legal action against their employers to recover the shortfall. Employers can also be subject to enforcement action by HM Revenue & Customs. HMRC enforces the National Minimum Wage and can issue a formal Notice of Underpayment to get employers to comply.

What if my employer won’t pay it?

If employers ignore the Notice, HMRC can require the employer to pay a penalty of up to £20,000. They can also “name and shame” underpaying employers.

Further advice

For more advice on employment law problems, contact Alex Green at Graham & Rosen’s Hull office on (01482 323123) or by email to [email protected]

Please note we can arrange to see you at our Cottingham office if this is more convenient.

Should you require advice on any other area of law, please do not hesitate to contact either our Hull office (01482 323123) / [email protected] or our Cottingham office (01482 840201)

Written By: Alex Green

Back to News & Articles